Estimated expenses for Barbados workshop attendance
- The Barbados dollar is roughly 1/2 a US dollar. Prices below are quoted in US dollars, unless noted otherwise.
- There is a currency exchange booth in the arrivals area at the airport in Barbados. Local banks with ATM machines are also an option.
- Airfare: around $500 from NY area. May vary.
- Accomodations: current rates are posted on Bellairs site. Roughly $30 per person per night. Can be paid by credit card, check
- Local transportation: cab from airport is about 45-50 Barbados dollars. Preferably, try to share a cab. Need cash.
US dollars typically work. Tell the cab driver to take you to Holetown, in the parish of St James, at the Bellairs Research Institute located
on the main highway between Folkstone Park and Coral Reef Club.
- There is an excellent network of inexpensive local public transportation by bus (state run or private).
The fare is about 1.5 or 2 Barbados dollars. From the airport, it may take a while, and you will have to change the bus, so I generally do not
recommend this (although I once came this way, and it was very picturesque to travel with the locals and get a feel of real life on the
- There is an exit fee at the airport, when you leave Barbados, of 25 Barbados dollars (or US$13).
- Food prices vary. Expect slightly higher (but not by much) prices for food in the local supermarket. A reasonable lunch may run between
8-20 Barbados at a fast food or beach place, to 30-40 Barbados at a good restaurant nearby, to as expensive as you may wish. We usually do
one special dinner at Cocomos on Saturday night, for about 40-50 Barbados, order pizza or go to Grooves (a small restaurant
across the street) the other evening when dinner is not served at Bellairs.
- Meal prices at Bellairs seem to have changed, check their web page for the latest.
If you have been offered travel support by the organizer (typically, this applies to students), here is what you must do:
- You must send original receipts. Keep copies of them, just in case.
- To get reimbursement from NSF, air travel must be done on US carriers and partners, unless this is not an option.
- On joint meal receipts, mark your expense. Alcohol expenses are not reimbursable and should not be included.
- Download this Excel form, fill it in and email it to Ileana. Send a printed copy together with the receipts.