Designing Intelligent Robots
- Hands-on introduction to robot design and introductory programming.
- Working in teams under the supervision of course instructors,
the students will:
- receive a kit containing the Lego MindStorms Robot design
- the RCX programmable controller
- a set of motors and sensors
- Lego parts
- various tools
- learn how to connect the various components to make a robot
that can move autonomously in the environment.
- program the controller to make the robot act intelligently:
- recognize light or obstacles
- make a decision for changing direction
- communicate messages
- test to improve the robot performance.
No formal prerequisites. Familiarity with basic Windows-95
functions (such as file manipulation) is desirable, but the lack
thereof can be substituted by a high desire to learn.
Mostly labs, in which the students will design and build a
small Lego robot and learn how to program it to perform
Field trips, invited lectures.
Back to the
class home page
Summer 2001, at