- Create a folder on the desktop, give it your name (e.g. Caroline).
- Open Notepad from Start/ Programs/Accessories/Notepad.
- Enter the following text (replace "Caroline" with your own name).
This is Caroline's first homepage.
- Save the file as: index.html in your folder on the desktop.
Make sure you select save as file type: "ALL FILES(*.*)
before saving the file index.html
- Double click on the file name (in your folder).
Netscape will open your first HTML file!
The file is visible only to you, because only you can access the
desktop of this computer. The next step (later today)
will be to put the page
in a place where everybody with Internet connection can see it.
Right now we are just practicing. When the real homepage is done,
you will learn how to transfer it in the public place and make it
visible to the world.
- Once again. Open Notepad and add more information to your
This is Caroline's homepage.
- Open it with Netscape: is this what you want? You probably
want each sentence on a separate line. Here's how you do this:
The date <BR>
Your name <BR>
This is Caroline's homepage. <BR>
- Using Netscape's "View Document Source"
This may give you some hints
with respect to tags that you forgot to match or misspelled: the tags
are color coded.