Lecture Notes Day 1
- Introduction to the course. 15 min in B01.
- A short description of how we handle batteries. Discharging before
How to measure voltage with the Digital Multimeter (DMM).
"Recharging teams": Every day, one group is assigned to recharging
(different group each day: day1 = group1, day2 = group2, etc).
All groupes will put their used batteries in the box marked "BAD" at the
end of the day. When everyone else leaves, the group assigned for
recharging for the day places all the batteries in the appropriate
rechargers (and turns them on).
Recharged batteries are in the box labeled "GOOD".
- Students split into teams of two. Use both labs B01 and B17.
Each team gets the Lego MindStorms kit, ziplock bags.
- Sort Lego parts. Find the list of parts at the end of the book.
Identify and become familiar with the kind of parts in the kit. 25-30 min.
- Using the CD-ROM from the Mindstorms kit:
- Do the Tutorial 1
(Getting started/Setup: Part 1 and 2). 45-60
- Assemble the RCX. Put batteries.
- Add motors and sensors.
- Start the RCX. Run programs 1, 2, 3
- BREAK: around 10:15-10:30.
- Assemble Robo 1,
the first robot in the book. 1 hr.
- If done, search Mindstorms site at
or look into the book for additional features.
- Wrap-up: all in B01 at 11:45.
- Overview, all in B01. 10 min.
- Robot construction session
Your task is to construct the
following robots from the Mindstorms Constructopedia. Each one
should take at most one hour. When done, ask Lily to take a
picture of your robot and move on to the next one.
- Pathfinder 2
- Acrobot 1
- Robo 2
- 3-4pm is mostly "work on what you want" period.
- Wrap-up at 3:45.
Questions. Lessons learned.
Page last updated June 26, 2001