- Definition of binary search trees.
- Application of binary tree traversal for search trees: Sorting using
binary search trees.
- Tree traversal algorithms, sketch. Left node Right, Left
Right node traversals.
- Recursive definition of tree traversal functions: Prefix,
Infix and Postfix traversals.
- Review: How recursive calls are being implemented using a
- Example. The stack behavior for the recursive calls of a Prefix
traversal of a small binary tree.
- In-class exercise (from an
recursive algorithm for computing the
depth of a binary tree.
- Lab: implement sorting using binary search
trees. Need to write a function to construct the binary search
tree from an input array of numbers, then traverse the tree in
- Discussion: doubly linked lists; binary trees with pointers
to parent, general (non-binary) trees.
- If time allows (otherwise, look at this on your own and be
prepared for a discussion on Th): preparation for final exam,
old final exam.
- Start designing the BSearchTree class. Discussion, in class: how to
implement the node; what is in the private and in the public part
of the class.
- Private: a pointer to the root ("root").
- What member functions are needed; types of
functions in the BSearchTree class: constructor (destructor?);
Discussion: which of the following do we need to implement Binary
navigation (GoToRoot, MoveLeft, MoveRight); insertion
(InsertRoot, InsertLeft, InsertRight); deletion (DeleteRoot,
DeleteLeft, DeleteRight); Miscellenia: IsEmpty, IsEmptyLeft,
IsEmptyRight; Printing: Print and PrintCrt.
- To implement Printing you need to traverse the tree.