Northampton is home to an impressive number of restaurants with a diverse selection of cuisines. Within walking distance of Smith, you can find four Italian restaurants, two Indian, two Thai, three Chinese, two Japanese, one Argentinian, two Moroccan, one Lebanese, three Mexican, one Tibetan, and the list goes on. The best restaurants in town can get packed on a weekend night, so with a large party it is highly recommended to call ahead and make a reservation.
An incomplete list of Northampton restaurants is included below. All directions are given from Smith campus. For more information, you might find the following sites helpful. They're not guaranteed to be up-to-date, so you should call the restaurant first before you make plans to meet there.
Selection of Northampton restaurants:
- Green Street cafe - Classic and contemporary fine French cuisine, cozy and intimate. And the location is unbeatable from Smith campus. $20+ per plate. Located on Green Street, which runs through campus. 64 Green St. Phone: (413) 586-5650
- Del Raye - Swanky ambience, American menu, features a raw bar. $19-$29 per plate. Walk down Main Street, cross under railroad underpass. Restaurant is on the right. Phone: (413) 586-2664
- Eastside Grill - Grilled Steaks, Seafood and Cajun Food. $13-$19 per plate. From Smith, walk down Main Street, almost to the railroad underpass. Take a right on Pearl Street. Phone: (413) 586-3347
- Union Station - A steak house in the old train station. $15-$25 per plate. Walk down main street and take a right on Pearl Street. Phone: (413) 586-5366
- Table 9 - "An upscale contemporary bistro" offering "new American" cuisine. From Smith, walk down Main Street and take a left on Center Street. Located on the right. Phone: (413) 586-9030
- Circa - Tiny and lively bistro featuring French inspired cuisine. Walk down Main Street, and take a left on Center Street. Restaurant is on the right. Phone: (413) 586-2622
- Spoleto's - New and traditional Italian food. $17-$25 per plate. Located on Main Street. Just walk down Main Street and cross the King St/Pleasant St intersection. On the right side of the road. Phone: (413) 586-6313
- Mulino's Trattoria - Homestyle Italian cooking. $14-$18 per plate. Located on Pearl Street. Walk down Main Street and take the right before the railroad underpass onto Pearl Street. Mulino's is on the second floor, above Sierra Grille. Phone: (413) 586-8900
- Spaghetti Freddy's - Your usual casual Italian restaurant located in the old train station. $10-$15 per plate. Walk down main street and take a right on Pearl Street. Phone: (413) 586-5366
- Zen - Creative Pan-Asian cuisine. Modern chic decor. $11-$16 per plate. Walk down Main Street. Cross King St/Pleasant St Intersection. Zen is on the left, next to Lucky's Tattoos. Phone: (413) 582-6888
- Osaka - Japanese sushi and steak house. $14-$20 per plate. Located on South Street, from campus walk downtown and take a right on South. Osaka is next to Glamourama hair salon, and across from Herrel's ice cream. Phone: (413) 587-9548
- India House - small, family-owned Indian restaurant. $13-$17 per plate. 45 State Street. From Smith Campus, walk down Elm Street and take first left onto State Street. Phone: (413) 586-6344
- Caminito Argentinean Restaurant - Argentinean food. $12-$20 per plate. Located on South Street, under Osaka restaurant. Walk downtown and take a right on South Street. Phone: (413) 387-6387
- Northampton Brewery - Pub fare and microbrew. $10-$18 per plate. Located next to the municipal parking garage behind Thorne's market. Walk downtown and take a right onto South Street. Take a left on the pedestrian walkway after the parking garage. Phone: (413) 584-9903
- Fitzwilly's - A very popular pub-style restaurant. $10-$18 per plate. Walk all the way down Main Street, Fitzwilly's is the last restaurant on the left before the railroad underpass. Phone: (413) 584-8666
- Haymarket - open late! from Smith campus, walk down Main street on the left side of the road.
- Woodstar - open till 9. Walk downtown. Take a left on Masonic St.
- Elbow Room Cafe - open till 5 or 6. Located on Green Street, which runs right through Smith Campus.
- Northampton Coffee - small and a little out of the way. Walk down Main Street. Take a right at the lights onto Pleasant street. Walk a quarter mile. It's on the right side of the road.
- La Fiorentina - have a cannoli with your cappuccino. Walk down Main Street, take a right on Pleasant Street, then your next right after Pleasant Street Video.